ANST - Irish Pronunciation

R Husted rhusted at angleton.isd.tenet.edu
Wed Mar 3 09:36:32 PST 1999

Quest wrote:

> I grow increasingly uncertain of what I think I'm understanding when I
> read.
>
> Quoted from:  http://www.sca.org/heraldry/laurel/reaneyAG.html

this site is "Feminine Given Names in A Dictionary of English Surnames"
by Reaney and Wilson. Are you sure that is the site you intended to
give?

> ><given name> <byname, lenited> ingen <as above>
>
> >The parent's name must appear in the genitive case - because it
> >is in a genitive relationship to "ingen" - and is lenited - because
> it
> >modifies a feminine noun: ingen. Bynames used after a feminine given
> >name will also be lenited for this reason.
>
> This preceded a list of common bynames, so I understood it to indicate
> that I should pick a given name, a byname, and if I use "ingen," my
> father's name.  I do keep hearing that bynames were not common at the
> time (1530's).  Which is correct?
>
> Meanwhile, I still have no grasp of "lenited," how's and when's of
> use, or correct pronunciation.  Beginning to feel a bit boggled, but I
> thank you all for your suggestions.
>
> ~ Rebecca

Yes, Gaelic names are very difficult to understand.  This is my
understanding at this point.

My name is Medb, ingen means daughter, and Domnall (Donald) is my
fathers name. by changing it to Domnaill (Note that an "i" has been
added) it modifies ingen to mean "daughter of". This is the use of a
patronimic byname.  The Irish did use patronymics, ingen meaning
daughter and mac meaning son. Other types of bynames such as
occupational or locative are almost unheard of in Ireland in period.

I also do not understand either genative form or "lenited" myself. I
went to Tangwystyl to get my name confirmed. I would suggest that you
pick the given name you would like to use, and your fathers name and
send both to Tangystyl. I can give you her email address privatly or you
can send me the info and I will happily send her a request for help for
you. She can also help with pronounciation.

Feel free to email me privatly if you want to ask any more questions. I
will do my best to help.

Medb
rhusted at angleton.isd.tenet.edu