ANST - Latin Pronunciation In Period & the SCA

Jennifer Carlson JCarlson at firstchurchtulsa.org
Thu Mar 4 10:37:30 PST 1999

Si tu vales, valeo!

There are several points on which classical Latin and medieval, or church,
Latin, differ with regards to how they are pronounced.  In classical Latin,
the letters C and G are always hard, and V is prononced as a W.  In
medieval Latin, C and G are soft if followed by E, I,  or Y, and V is
sounded like V.  In medieval Latin, SC is sounded as SH.

One of those old jokes classical Latin students pull on medieval Latin
students is to hit them with the following phrase, an inscription from a
monastery refectory (dining hall) door:  Papa fidem scit  (The Pope knows
the Faith).

Read it out loud, with a hard C, as for good, classical Latin.
Now, read it out loud, with the medieval "sh" sound.

Talana
Who can't believe she's really passing on such a silly old joke, but who
did survive Latin classes that switched back and forth between a classicist
and medievalist.