ANST - Boffer guidelines...

Sean Bartholome okami69 at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 4 13:51:24 PST 1999

Greetings Sir Kief,

I know you don't know me from Adam, but here is my 2 cents on Childrens
Boffer combat.  I have 13 years plus of full-speed/contact boffer combat
experience, and I've been constructing round and flat bladed boffers for
9 years.

>Rule #8
> During melee combat there will be no blows counted from behind. Any
>inadvertent blows shall not be counted. Any repeated offense will
result
>in the removal of the combatant.

I'm assuming this is a safety arguement, and a direct corelation with
the other fighting standards of the SCA.  Having played with
full-contact (other than head and neck shots), full speed boffer combat,
attacks from behind, if done with descretion, are safe.  Yet shouldn't
be included, so as not to reinforce tactics that wouldn't be used in
other forms of SCA combat.

>BOFFER YOUTH DIVISION DESCRIPTION: Age 6 through 9 years
>
>Required protective armor:
>* Marshalate approved-helmet (minimum leather or plastic) with
chinstrap
>and face and neck protection. Full coif is recommended

What is the coif to be constructed of?  Will this be similar to the
Rapier hood?

>* Hand and feet protection is required

Gloves of some sort?

>Weapons Construction:
>* All weapons will be made of non-reinforced foam rubber.

I would suggest the use of Funoodles as the foam to be used.  You could
even include a 1/2" os diameter hollow fiberglass kite tube as a core.
There is more than adquate padding around the core, and with now
thrusting, you wouldn't have to worry to much about the tips getting
bent out of shape and dangerous.

>* No thrusting weapons will be accepted.
>* Weapons may be covered with single layer, loosely wrapped duct tape
>for support.

I suggest using a cloth cover, it is lighter, and will sting less on
impact to bare, or cloth covered skin.  It will also last longer than
tape.  Tends to look nicer as well.

>LIGHT WEAPONS YOUTH DIVISION DESCRIPTION: Age 10 through 12 years
>
>Required protective armor:
>* Marshalate-approved helmet (minimum converted sports helmet) with
>chinstrap

Converted how?  Possibly with paint, cloth, leather, or foam, they could
be made to look somewhat more period.  Indivdual tastes would be
reflected in the construction.

>* Protection is required for elbows, knees, feet and hands.

I'm assuming elbow/knee pads, and shoes and gloves.

>* Sternum protection is to be added if single-handed thrusting weapons
>are to be used.

This shouldn't be neccesary, but might be a safe percaution.  Especially
considering the coordination level of the young fighters.

>Weapons Construction:
>* All swords/ non-thrusting type/ must consist of:
>a. 1/2 inch I.D. PVC minimum.

I suggest that the max psi rating to be no more than 400 psi.  I
personally recommend using 315 psi.  Another alternative is Fiber glass
tubing, but that tends to be light.

>b. Two layers of glass strapping tape.
>c. 1/2 inch foam extending 1 and 1/2 inch past tip of PVC

How much foam between core and striking edge.  The minimum I would
suggest is 1.25" to 2".

>e. Quillions or basket hilt shall be the same construction as above.

Have made many out of foam strips, taped together with strapping tape,
duct tape, and reinforces in some spots by poster/card board.  Does a
respectable job of protecting the hand from impact if a basket, and can
keep shots from sliding down the blade and hitting the hands if a
crossguard.

>* All shielding devices:
>a. MAY NOT BE USED AS OFENSIVE WEAPONS.
>b. Materials: wood, plastic, or aluminum.

I would suggest against wood.  Plastic/aluminum snow disks, and trashcan
lids make great round shields.  Plastic packing crates or other forms of
plastic or aluminium could be used for heaters and other similar long,
or bigger shields.  Madu's would be possible also.

>c. All edges must be covered by tubing, leather, or foam.

I would recommend at least 3/8" or more of padding on the front and
edges of the shield.  Padding will decrease any possible harm, but
accidental contact, plus it won't tear up the boffers as quickly.  I
also recommend that a cloth cover be used as well, just like the swords.

>* All swords/ thrusting type/ must consist of:
>a. Leather or rubber, covering 6 inches of thrusting end of PVC
>b. Foam and tape to be a minimum 2 and 1/2 inch in diameter and extend
>3 inches past PVC

3" might be a bit much, the tip will have a tendency to bend over at
that length.  1.5" to 2" should be enough.  I like the leather
procaution.

>* All thrusting weapons must be disassembled and inspected for
>structural damage once a year.

Also a good idea.  Maybe even sooner.  I've had swords last as long as 2
or more years, but the tips tend to break down alot sooner than that.
Depends alot on how they are used.

>MULTIPLE WEAPONS YOUTH DIVISION DESCRIPITION: Age 13 through 15
>
>Required protective armor:
>
>* Helmet (minimum converted sports helmet) with secured heavy chinstrap
>and attached gorges.
>* Gorget must be constructed to prevent access to the face or throat
>from underneath the faceplate.

Is gorget attached to the helm?  Is it made of leather?

>* Full face protection with reinforced grill (maximum of 1/2 inch
>spacing to prevent 1/2 inch I.D. tubing from accidentally penetrating
>faceplate.)

A good procaution.  Especially since head/face shots are allowed.  This
will only be a need safety measure once in a long great while.  I have
seen more than one core come out of the foam, and with the head being a
legal target, a very good idea.

>* Full rigid frontal thrusting and lateral protection required, e.g.
>heavy leather, scaled leather, or metal or Kydex plate armor;

This shouldn't be needed.  I've played for 13 years, and have never
needed it for myself.  I've seen youths from 14 years and older playing
without any armor at all, and the most damage a boffer weapon has ever
caused was a bruise, and occasionally a scrape, if the core poked
through the foam.  The fingers and the hand are the most vulnerable.  I
would suggest using youth hockey gloves as much as possible.

>* Minimum leather kidney and lower back protection required.
>* Elbows and knees require light leather covered basketball pads
>minimum.

Useful especially if fighter falls, or is on knees fighting.

>* Hand protection must include heavy gloves or gauntlets with flared
>(belled) or padded wrist protection.

As I said above.

>* Two-handed thrusting weapons, e.g. spears, axes, glaives, etc. will
be
>used in this Youth division only.
>* All two-handed, thrusting type weapons must consist of:
>a.  Leather or rubber, covering 12 inches of thrusting end of PVC with
>secured capped, tipped, or balled end.
>b. Foam and tape to be a minimum 2 and 1/2 inch in diameter and extend
3
>inches past PVC. Striking tip shall also include one half split tennis
>ball end or equivalent over foam on end.
>* Thrusting weapons require inspection for wear and cracks immediately
>before each use.

All good, except for the 3 inch extension past the core.  Will probably
not need the tennis ball as long as the leather and foam is covering the
tip of the core.

I hope this will be useful to you in your quest to bring a new form of
combat to the youth of the SCA.  If you have any questions, or if I can
help in any way, I'm completely at your service.  I fully support what
you are trying to accomplish.

Yours in Service,

Okami

mka: Sean Bartholome