ANST - origin of oranges

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Fri Mar 5 22:54:18 PST 1999

Within this past week, I remember correcting someone (Ken Miller?) on the
origins of oranges. I said that I didn't think they had come from China
but rather from the Middle East. It looks like I was wrong in that they
may have in fact traveled first from China to the Middle East, but well
before medieval times. It does look like any direct transport from China
was unknown until very late in our period.

Stefan

Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net
**** See Stefan's Florilegium files at:
          http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/rialto/rialto.html ****