ANST - The Crown needs your help...

jhartel jhartel at net-link.net
Sun Mar 7 10:58:38 PST 1999

Pug Bainter wrote:

>   Yesterday at Lyonesse it was announced that the Crown is in need of
>   your help. They have volunteered to bring half the alcohol for the
>   Knowne World party at Gulf War, but they would prefer to provide more
>   than half to show our hospitality.

**Taking a DEEP breath and donning my flame retardent clothes, I now
offer this as "food for thought."***

This is a nice thing to do, very nice indeed. However, I wonder how many
people will walk away from the party saying "Boy, can those Anstoerrans
drink!" or  "Man, I got so blasted at the Ansteorran party last night,"
or the worst one yet, "If he/she hadn't been so drunk "that" might not
have happened."

I know that alcohol is an integral part of today's society, both SCA
and  mundane, but wouldn't it be better to pass out trinkets of some
sort, war memorabilia or words of welcome and praise to all that enter
the party rather than alcohol?   Wouldn't it be better to have people
walk away from the party saying "I just saw the most incredible
dancers," or "I just heard the most inspiring tale from the King," or
"They have the greatest bards."

 It is true that anyone who enters the party will have to control
themselves but things do get out of hand as many of us have seen
before.  Who is liable if something does go awry?  Would it be the
individual person, the Crown/ Kingdom or the SCA since it was a
"sponsored" gathering.

I apologize if I have offended anyone with my ramblings.  Perhaps living
in the cold north this past year and a half have dulled my "fun cells",
or perhaps I am just becoming a "fuddy duddy".  Either way Ansteorra
will always be in my heart and I would hate to see Her reputation and
those of her inhabitants tarnished.

Moriel***