ANST - Bread and Circuses

Michael F. Gunter michael.gunter at fnc.fujitsu.com
Mon Mar 8 11:47:00 PST 1999

Hi,

I sent this to the Cook's list, hence all the food references, but I
thought the rest of Ansteorra may enjoy it.

Gunthar

> And, FWIW, the whole cheese/bread/butter thing at the beginning of a
> meal seems to be way off prevailing medieval European medical theory
> (dairy products, especially cheeses and cheese dishes, would normally be
> served at or near the end of the meal to close the chest and stomach up
> while digesting, and I've seen no evidence of butter being spread on
> bread in medieval Europe, and some evidence to suggest it was not).

> Adamantius

I agree with this. It seems that every feast is "expected" to have bread
with honey & garlic butters. I've started to serve plain bread, often with
bowls of honey on the table. This at least is a little closer to period
practice.

As for the "Circuses" part of this, I have to compliment the Barony of
Bjornsburg. Last weekend we attended the Tournee de Lyoness and I have
never seen more food at an event. Although there was not a lot of period
food in attendance the amount and quality was astounding. I sitting under
the Royal pavillion watching the fighters on the list field when I turned
around and noticed that a buffet had magically appeared.

Some items I remember: escargots (almost got Sara to eat one), brie, fruits,
Cornish hens in citrus glaze, chicken and leek pies, oysters wrapped in bacon
and broiled, tea eggs, shortbread, ginger beef, rosemary beef, garlic beef,
wine sauce, gingerbread, pickled vegetables, venison sausages, kielbasa,
breads, chocolates, cookies, etc...etc...

Remember, this was lunch!

Feast had chicken soup, roasted apples and onions, beef stew, breads, olives,
more beef, sausage en crote...I'm sorry but we were pretty busy so I don't
remember everything. Maybe someone will post a better description of feast.
I do remember the bread pudding and whiskey sauce that should have been kept
away from the torches. Yum!

And the great birthday cake shaped like the Arms of Ansteorra that was presented
to me with the tin of saffron hidden in the center.  I really appreciated
it.

And watching some of the most fun fighting events I've seen in a while as
well as one of the strangest Courts we've held. "Circus" is a proper title.

A great event for food, fighting and fun.

Yours,

Gunthar