ANST - Louisiana Speeding Ticket

Don Christian Doré jtc at io.com
Tue Mar 9 06:56:41 PST 1999

> > His theory is that
> >since he is moving anyway they cannot track him down as the address on his
> >license -- and in fact the license itself -- are becoming obsolete.

I am not sure I think this is a good place for this, but...

The way the system works -- even in LA -- is that when a ticket is
issued a court date is automatically set. If you don't pay or show up
for the court date, a warrant is issued and sits in the files for some
time. During that time if you are stopped by any LA officer, you will
be handcuffed and hauled to the pokey where you will sit till you
pay your ticket (but probably overnight in any case). From that
point on, various other charges can apply as well, but seldom do
with a speeding ticket.

Eventually this information gets fed into a national database.
Various identifying information, like your prints and ssn, are used to
link this information to little ol' you. If this comes up during an
inquiry in another state (like Texas) where you are a resident, you
can be arrested on a variety of charges including "interstate flight
to avoid prosecution", a felony I believe. Not that you will be
arrested, but you could. It could happen next time you try to renew
your license. Or after a traffic stop. Or a week after either of those
when the nice man in the blue outfit shows up where you work.

I am sure some prosecutor, lawyer or police officer could provide
more details and correct any errors I have made, but that is how I
understand it. No way in hell would I want that hanging over *my*
head. Your friend may be more adventurous, or like spending the
night in a cell full of drunks.

Christian Doré -- My legal advice is free, and worth every penny!