ANST - lingua latina

Matthew Kies highlycafeinated at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 9 16:59:25 PST 1999

hey cats---

did not realize that stating a humble opinion brought on by four years
of classical latin in high school and two more years in college would
bring about such happy conversation... it was just that i had noted to a
scadian friend of mine (who happens to be a bard) that the
mispronunciation of many languages with which i am familiar (latin and
german most notably) by the bards and heralds in the society grated on
my ears, and i thought that, "god" and an autocrat willing, i would hold
a class on proper pronunciation, by region and period, of those
languages with which i am familiar... then, i was granted an opening to
offer my thoughts on the state of the vulgar tongue here in ansteorra by
a comment made on our collective improper usage of "vivat"... i wonder
how many people would be interested in such a course if i were able to
offer it at an event... the potential languages that would be covered,
bowing to interest, would be latin, german, italian, greek, japanese,
korean, chinese, and ENGLISH!!! this would, by necessity include some
grammar, but the emphasis would be on diction... please let me know if
these evil thoughts running through my vapid skull and cold heart are
due further consideration, or if it would just be a waste of time... i
am willing to admit that this is largely a selfish act, i don't feel
like cringing every time i hear a bard or herald belt out in a foreign
language with which i am familiar... also, if there are any other people
who would like to help, either by offerring a language i don't know, or
by offerring teaching which may be more learned and professional, feel
free to contact me...

admittedly over-educated,
matthew
(by any other name less mundane)