ANST - Gulf Wars VII, I Was There

Leofric Ealdricson lealdricson at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 13 11:05:31 PST 1999

Greetings to all

I returned from Gulf Wars late last night.  As of 11:00 Friday, ALL
fighting activities had been canceled. (This came about 2 minutes after
lightning struck somewhere on or very close to the site).  The plan was
to continue with the Bardic and A&S activities.

As I was leaving at at 4:30, the sight was a bloody muddy mess.  The
rains that had fallen in the days prior to the start of the war had the
ground saturated.  Despite the sandy soil with good drainage, there was
just no where for the water to go when the rains started on Friday
morning.

There were at least two heavy duty wreckers ( an who knows how many
gracious souls with powerful trucks and strong backs) working to get
cars out of the mud bog that the parking areas had become.  I had to get
help to extricate my truck and trailer from the parking area after I had
bottomed out the trailer hitch and buried the trailer jack in the mud (
Many thanks to Sir Rhodri, Sir William, Sir Alexis, Lord Ulstead, and
Lord Vaklav for their help).

Those gentles who left early were fortunate that those staying pitched
in to lend a hand and get them on their way.  Thanks to all who helped
to strike the Loch Soilleir camp and get us out of there.

Looking at the weather today, those who stayed may be in dire straights.
There is strong rain heading their way and they are under a severe
weather alert.  The roads inside the site and the parking lots may
become impassible today of there are heavy rains.

I hate to have left the war early.  Tuesday and Wednesday were great.
Thanks to all who helped to put on the War.  I will be there next year
(but with some better foul weather preparations just in case)

Regards
Leofric