ANST - GW Date Discussion

Chris and Elisabeth Zakes moondrgn at bga.com
Sat Mar 13 18:37:42 PST 1999

At 10:29 AM 3/13/99 -0600, you wrote:

>just out of mild curiosity .. has anyone evr thought about trying to host
>the war here ? I mean everyone has to travel to Pennsic true, but if you
>stop and think about Gulf wars who's to say that we couldn't host it, last
>time I checked my geography Texas borders lie in thegulf of mexico as well??
>and I know that there are plenty of areas int htis grand and large state
>that would be large enough to hold a war..Raven's Fort springs to mind.. all
>that land wood battles and tons of possible camping spaces and if you think
>you'd miss the hot days and cooler humid nights.. it has that too...I know
>it's a primitive site but get real they didn't have electricty in the middle
>ages either and running water( that is of couse unless you were in rome
>where the had aqauducts) hmm just a though then one year we could have it on
>out spring break and not a long travel and they would have to travel and the
>next year on their turf with their spring break coinciding and then all the
>griping won't be directed at one kingdom.

The problem with that is the drive-time. I live in Bryn Gwlad and Gulf War
is a 10-hour drive for me. That's also about how far it is from the Barony
of Darkwater (Orlando) in central Trimaris. If we held Gulf War in
Ansteorra, even if it was on the eastern border, it would be a 15-hour
drive for the average Trimarian. The same would apply to Ansteorrans if the
war was held on the Trimarian border.

I expect there are a lot fewer people willing to drive that far for a war
(and more importantly, willing to drive 15 hours to get home *after* the
war). Combine that with the fact that *more* people from the home kingdom
will be there because it's not so far to drive. I expect the result would
be that when the war was held in Ansteorra, the Trimarians would be
outnumbered two or three to one, and when the war was held in Trimaris,
we'd be similarly outnumbered.

Driving 15 hours to a war where you *know* your army is going to get
clobbered would also tend to diminish interest, I think.

	-Tivar Moondragon