ANST - Re: Second Wave Fleeing War Rain

Askell at aol.com Askell at aol.com
Sun Mar 14 14:49:46 PST 1999

Greetings all, Melody here with an update from the Stargate group that held
out until Saturday morning to flee the rain.  It seems that luck (and heaven)
was with us.  The rain had pretty much stopped by Friday evening court and
held off all night and for much of the next morning.

The weather seemed to actually warm up some Friday night and by Saturday
morning, most of us were packing quite comfortably in short-sleeved shirts.
Tents, roads, fields and equipment had something of an opportunity to dry out
and most folks breakfasted and packed up with only the occasional stray drop
of rain.  I even managed to drive my wimpy front-wheel drive minivan out of
the very lowest part of the field parking that had been the scene of much
towing the previous day.

For the Stargate group, thanks to a generous group effort, we were almost
completely packed into our vehicles before the heavens opened to signal the
next great onslaught of rain.  Except for a flat tire on Sir Rhodri's vehicle,
most vehicles were extricated from the parking areas without out much trouble.
We didn't have any traffic leaving site.  In fact, a few morning-after phone
calls today seem to indicate that most of the Saturday-departing Stargate
contingent made it home with no worse experience than a bad traffic jam
outside Lake Charles because of an overturned 18 wheeler.

Despite a tremendous effort to make this a great war, I afraid the description
that comes to mind for me this year is 'bummer.'  Trimaris and Ansteorra may
have 'tied' but I still think the weather won the war this year.  I guess
we'll just have to start early dreaming and preparing for Gulf War IX.  Hope
to see all of you there!

Melody