ANST - Paying the toll

Tim Lozos timden at lcc.net
Mon Mar 15 07:02:16 PST 1999

Greetings!

I'm back, and pleasantly tired.

For those who couldnt go, I'm sure you've heard you were lucky. I
respectfully disagree.

Rain, rain, and more rain besieged us. But in that adversity, we found
strength, friendship, and the common goal to enjoy each others company while
we could.

You may have missed the Long Drive, the Leaky Tent, the Blistering Rain, the
Muddy Roads, and the Packing-up Blues. But for those who payed the toll with
these tests, what they saw and participated in was worth it and much more.

I saw........

The warmth and welcome of old friends and new, who helped me set up at 2am
Thursday after their own long day....

The Bear pit tourney.....Where over a hundred fighters fought in 8 small
pits, and at one time I looked over from my "island" and saw that each pit
was being held by an Ansteorran.....

The Friendly fort battles....Where good and friendly fighting won the day.
Forces were split and Trimarian and Ansteorran stood side by side against
the same, smiling and enjoying the moment.....

The Torchlight tourney.......With some fantastic fighting and entertainment
of the crowd fresh in my mind......Sir Galen of Bristol sure can make an
entrence (with a little help from Sir Pendaren :>) ) His Highness, Stephan
of Bellatix took the night, and proved himself a worthy ally and true
Friend. Vivat Atlantia!

The Kamikazi party......Ooooooo Porto! ('nuff said)

Seeing His Majesty Gunthar make what must have been the most difficult
choice of his SCA life, for the welfare and benefit of His people. We are
lucky to have a strong and good King.

Seeing friends, who were somehow dry, help those that werent pack to leave
(and get thoughly soaked in the process) or find a warm bed and dry
clothes.....Not even just their friends, but strangers who were made
companions through these trials....

Sir Alerik Drake, with chutzpah beyond belief, striding into the Trimarian
tent and, surrounded by our opponents, issued challenge as Ansteorra's
champion and walked away the victor.......

Ansteorran court....."We few, we happy few" who saw Duke Kein give his
treasured Sable Falcon (which had been on his belt for....oh... at least 30
seconds) to Sir Galen (Viscount, MP, KSCA, etc :)  )  and heard the roar
when Raisya was announced as a Laurel.

The Joy and Revalry that followed......including the..errr..."fund raising"
techniques of my brother Centurions and Sir Wilhelms feet almost going
through the roof of the BFT.......:>)

The small group of Ansteorrans who claimed the fort and challenged all to
take it...and the joy in Calontiri eyes as their long trip was made
worthwhile...

The Survivor Party and Cajun Food Fest......the generosity of Kane and Lissa
to make sure everyone was fed....the fun that everyone there seemed to want
to hold on to for just a few moments longer....

The  Long Drive, the Leaky Tent, the Blistering Rain, the Muddy Roads, and
the Packing-up Blues. A high price. A dear toll. I paid the toll and
questioned it's worth. Now I see what a small pittance it was for the
rewards it brought and the memories that will remain.....

Timo