ANST - GW Dates

Joel Schumacher jschumac at jcpenney.com
Mon Mar 15 10:42:29 PST 1999

> At 04:34 PM 3/12/99 -0600, Mirrim wrote:
> They had always planned to have GW coincide with
> Spring Break, the question is which school's spring break.  If you
> really want to go but the War is a week too early, write to the event
> autocrat and see if they can change the week next year.  Maybe if
> they get messages from lots of people they will change the date.

I don't know how consistant Mississippi weather is, but here are the
dates I have for Gulf Wars going back as far as I've been going
to them.  These are only the weekends, because I forget what days they
started on each year.

GW 3 (94): March 19,20 - hot & sunny weather
GW 4 (95): March 18,19 - hot & sunny, I don't recall rain
GW 5 (96): March 16,17 - nice weather, some rain on sun
GW 6 (97): March 15,16 - rainy and damp, but cleared up by weekend, not
                         too warm, cold Sat night
GW 7 (98): March 14,15 - overnight temps in the teens, no rain
GW 8 (99): March 13,14 - rain towards the weekend, lows in the 40s & 50s
GW 9 (00): March 18,19 - ???

Seems the ones that started later had some of the best weather.  So far
the two that started the earliest (7 & 8) were some of the worst ones
weather-wise: overnight temps in the teens and this last one was even
shortened due to the weather.

I know weather is unpredictable, to an extent, especially so far in
advance.  But if you hold a June event, it will probably be warm/hot
and a January event probably means cold weather.  Maybe we're teetering
on the egde of a "probably bad"/"probably good" date range.

If moving the war to later dates will give us better chances of nice
weather, I'm all for it.  Too late for next year, but if there is
anything to this weather trend, next year is one of the later dates and
should make for better weather.  We'll have to wait and see...

-Karl von Augsburg