ANST - combat archery logistics

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Mon Mar 15 20:33:34 PST 1999

Gilli commented on my idea of field resupply of combat archers:

> Currently, well in GW 7, the archers (some any way) would go back to the box
> and get more when they ran out.  In the last fort battle we were sending
> arrows to the box straight from the factory as they got finished or
> repaired.  Must have done about 100 that way.

If we are indeed shooting arrows at the rate of 5 per minute per archer (or
could achieve this rate) then the time to run to the box, grab arrows, stuff
them into a quiver, run back to the field and start firing again would mean
quite a number of arrows that didn't get fired.

If there was some kind of prefab quiver that could be preloaded with a set
number of arrows and then taken several at a time to multipe archers then this
time could be greatly reduced. Even if the archer went off to the sidelines
to get the preloaded quiver it could reduce the time.

I seem to remember, in movies at least, that the English archers would start
off the battle with great sheaves of arrows stuck in the ground around them.
I think our battles are too mobile and the range too short for this to work
for us. Even then, I seem to remember the English archers being resupplied
during the battles.

> The non combatant thing would be great if we could get folks to do it.  I
> always thought that if they were going to be on the field with arrows in
> their hand, might as well give them a bow and let them shoot too.  May be we
> can do both.

Yes, it is often difficult to find people to fill grunt level jobs that
get little share in the glory. However if they were seen to be needed, this
might be easier. Also, if there was some way these folks would not have to
come up with a full set of list-legal armor then some folks might be willing
to accept less of the glory to be able to participate without having to come
up with the money for everything.

I am currently having to fight a battle to be allowed to shoot combat
archery (because of concerns that have been raised over my eyesight by
un-named gentles in my barony). Perhaps there are others in this same
situation
who would be willing to take such a position in return for being able to
participate on a limited scale. This would in this case be similar to what
the US military does when it accepts folks with handicaps for non-front line
positions such as the supply corps.
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net
**** See Stefan's Florilegium files at:
          http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/rialto/rialto.html ****