ANST - Gulf Wars attendance and classes

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Mon Mar 15 21:05:31 PST 1999

Before the rains hit this Gulf Wars looked like it would be a bit bigger
than the last one. Gulf Wars 7 had around 2800 people if I remember right.
This Gulf Wars not only did they have more than enough reservations for
the cabins the first day they started accepting them, but there were
apparently 3000 reservations made. More than the number that attended
last year.

I know the Ealdamere contingent was over twice the size it was last
year although small, but they came a long way. They were camped in
the cabin next to us. One of the great things about such wars is
meeting folks from other parts of the Known World.

I think I heard a number like 2400 people on site on Thursday. Does
anyone know what the total gate could was for this years Gulf Wars?

On Thursday morning, I had more than twenty people show up for my
pewter casting class. The class had a published limit of 15. Last
year I think about ten people attended.

Even on Friday morning, five people showed up in the rain for the
second half of the class to cast items in the molds they carved the
previous class day. Despite the rain, and an extension cord with
surge protectors that wouldn't work (the moisture?) they had fun
casting their new items.

There were a number of classes at this war including some on cordage
making, starting fires by friction, middle eastern pastries and
the history of the stirrup that I found interesting. For those who
think SCA wars are just for combatants there is plenty else to do.
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net
**** See Stefan's Florilegium files at:
          http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/rialto/rialto.html ****