ANST - RE: Latin Pronunciation In Period & The SCA

Mark.S Harris rsve60 at email.sps.mot.com
Tue Mar 16 06:52:35 PST 1999

Jennifer Carlson (Dunstana Talana Viola) wrote:

> Good day, Brother Galen, and any who are interested in this topic!
>
> Here's my attempt to answer the good friar's good questions:

And a very good attempt I found it to be. Especially for those of us
not familar with Latin but wanting to know a little about how it was
in our period of study vs. in classical times.

And then you said:

> All of the beginning Latin textbooks I am aware
> of are geared towards Medieval Latin.  Perhaps someone else out there can
> suggest a text.

Did you mean to say "All of the beginning Latin textbooks I am aware of are
geared towards Classical Latin."?

For those interested in pursuing medieval languages and Latin a bit further,
you might be interested in these two files in the EDUCATION section of my
Florilegium:
languages-msg     (50K)  9/23/98    Sources for learning Anglo-Saxon, Latin.
Latin-msg         (23K)  4/ 8/97    Learning Latin. Some basics. WWW course.

The Florilegium is on the web at:
http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/rialto/rialto.html

Dunstana, I plan to add your wonderful message to the Latin-msg file.

Stefan li Rous
stefan at texas.net