ANST - Ansteorran Uniforms? No!

Gunnora Hallakarva gunnora at bga.com
Wed Mar 17 07:17:40 PST 1999

Ches said:
> Removable shield covers I think was the idea. At least that is
> what I understood it to be. I have seen this at a few wars. All
> of one side was one color down to the shield covers, they
> looked real uniform, orderly, and nice.

Thing is, real medieval armies *DIDN'T* wear uniforms or carry the same device on their shields.  Even tightly-knit
warbands and kings' personal guards usually did not.  Everyone bore their own personal heraldry.  Nationalism and
national pride were unknown.

To recognizze fighters on your own side, medieval warriors used war-cries.  Screaming "Ansteorra!" (or whatever the
cry of the day happens to be) tells nearby allies that you are one of theirs despite the fact that they do not know
your armory.

I'd much rather see people proudly displaying their own heraldry, but wearing the badge of the kingdom on their
persons.  The tumult of heraldic colors is part of the grand spectacle of a battle!  Leave the uniforms to the
Napoleonic and Civil War reenactors!

::GUNNORA::