ANST - shield covers

Mark.S Harris rsve60 at email.sps.mot.com
Wed Mar 17 03:49:18 PST 1999

Sir Lyonel Oliver Grace replied to my questions on cloth shield covers:

> I've found the painted cloth treatment to have a number of advantages:
>
> (1) The cloth will accept a wider range of paints than the aluminum.
>
> (2) The paint doesn't flake off of the cloth the way it does from
> aluminum (and from plywood, to a lesser degree).
>
> (3) Though glued on, the cloth is easily removed and replaced once it
> becomes tattered.  The cloth just peels off.  If you have to repaint an
> aluminum or wooden shield, you usually have to sand it to avoid a lumpy
> look.

Ok, this makes sense. A few more questions:

1) Do you have a particular glue recommendation? A wood glue? Something
more waterproof? I guess I'm thinking of the recent Gulf Wars and a few
other events. There often is not space in the tent to store a shield.

2) You said in your first message that you glued the cloth to the shield
and then painted it. Have you ever tried painting first and then glueing
the cloth to the shield? I'm wondering if that might be easier,
particularly for complex heraldic designs.

3) After you glue the cloth to the shield, do you coat the cloth with
anything? more glue? gesso?

4) From your description, you apply the edge hose after the cloth. I
think I've seen some shields where the cloth is applied over and
around the edge tubing. I can see where this would have the advantage
of hiding the ugly mundane tubing. I remember when I made my first
(and only) shield, I took care to go buy more expensive heater hose
rather than using old garden hose for a better appearance. If this
cloth covering can eliminate the need for this, then that cost
savings could be applied to the cover.

5) Do cloth covers work on all shapes of shields such as rounds? I
know that I've seen them on heaters and kite shields.

6) Do you just tuck the cloth over the edges of the shield and perhaps
glue it? Or in the case of plywood shields do you staple or tack it
down?

Thanks.
  Stefan li Rous
  stefan at texas.net