ANST - Next year in Jerusa... er, Gulf Wars!

Michael Tucker michaelt at mechatronics.com
Wed Mar 17 08:56:48 PST 1999

Greetings, all:

Vicki Marsh (Baroness Xene) wrote:

> I was in armor, as was Chieftainess Mari, ready to stand with the King on
> the field of war.
>
> Join us next year on the field, and we will have enough arrows to darken
> the Meridian sky.
>
> Xene, Warrior Baroness of Elfsea

Hooo-hoooooo! I've got goosebumps just imagining it!

It's funny how adversity can either tear you apart or pull you together. I had
several moments last week when I said to myself: "That's it. I've had enough!
This is my LAST Gulf Wars!!" But there were countless MORE moments when
everything came together, the "magic" held sway, and I found myself living the Dream.

Armoring up on Friday morning, in spite of my knee (which hasn't really healed
yet from knee surgery). I knew it was raining, I knew it would be dangerous
footing. But I also was worried about our numbers on the field, after our
getting stomped in years past. I was so eager to serve our King and Queen, to
make them proud, to be one of the "happy few" holding high the standard of
Ansteorra, that it *hurt*, a happy ache in my belly. I conned myself into the
armor, saying "I'll just armor up in case we get to do the fort battles today.
I'll just man a ballista, and free up someone else (with knees in better shape)
to fight on the field." But I knew it was a con, and I think my lady Neassa knew
it, too. I could tell she was torn between being furious with me for
jeapordizing my full recovery, and being proud of me for wanting to serve in my
kingdom's time of need.

Being fully in the armor, getting ready to don the helm and go find a glaive or
spear, when Her Majesty Sara walked up looking stricken and said: "Lightning
struck the field. There will be no fighting today." She held herself with
dignity and grace, though I could see the anguish she felt. Slowly, with mixed
relief and disappointment, I armored down... In court Friday night, His Majesty
Gunthar said more on the subject. He called us "we few, we happy few" who had
stayed for court, and hopefully to fight on Saturday, if for no other purpose
(since the war points were now set aside) to honor Calontir who had travelled so
far to join our war. I have rarely been as proud (and never MORE proud) to look
upon the King and Queen of our fair kingdom and say: "There stands Ansteorra."

Saturday morning, getting up at Oh-God-thirty to rush to the field with Neassa
to drop the hospitality pavillion (a G.P. medium) and pack all the food, drink,
linens, chairs, tables and utensils we had brought to serve our army, before the
REALLY bad weather hit. Being joined by BlackAngus McNeil, who threw his back
into the work and helped us get *everything* packed into the trailer and covered
up in a little over an hour! Thanking him, and having him tell us: "Oh, it's
nothing. It makes me happy to do it for YOU two!" Watching him hug Neassa, and
seeing in his face, and hearing in his words, a perfect echo of my feelings for
Gunthar and Sara.

There, on the field, just as the first drops of rain began to fall, I had a
perfect moment of clarity and understanding of how strongly we can stand when
our leaders lead by example and with love, and we find ourselves reaching within
and giving more than we thought we had to give.

In that moment, I saw the Dream.