ANST - Ansteorran Uniforms? No!

Wed Mar 17 14:45:30 PST 1999

> "j'lynn yeates" <jyeates at realtime.net> writes:
>
> >what if a persons particular culture / persona or their personal belief
> system
> >does not  allow such ???? .... there is a big diffrence between warrior
> mindset
> >and that of soldier.
>

> Livery took many forms.  Jupons, surcoats, tabards, baldrics, and caps
> were
> but a few.  No one is asking you to wear a uniform when you wear livery.
> But
> if you swear fealty to someone then you darn well better be willing to
> wear
> their livery... and fealty is part of the game we play.

The oaths and contracts of a Celt are not the same as fealty.  Your game is
fealty, mine is not.   Under the Brehon Law, there were strict limits placed
on a king's power.  To demand that your followers wear your device, could be
understood as calling a free man a slave and touch off a blood feud.  Even
St. David asked the Welsh to wear the leek.

> >'wolf
> >... keltoi do NOT wear uniforms
>
> But they DO wear livery, after a fashion.
>
> Ld George

If you are referring to the "clan tartan," that is primarily an 18th and
19th Century creation.  Celts (at least in Ireland) wore a certain number of
colors according to their rank and basically chose colors they liked.  The
anarchistic color schemes and tattoos make Celts very identifiable, but they
are certainly not livery.

Bear