ANST - Bows and arrows

Casey&Coni weed at sage.net
Tue Mar 23 08:13:21 PST 1999

Shawn,

There are a great many different arguments about the types of tips and the
merits of each one but the one piece of advice I have concerns your choice
of bows.

In the sca you can't use any bow in combat that measures over 30lbs at 28".  Go
with an old fiberglass phys ed bow.  Generally they're about 25lbs and can
be obtained at Goodwill or Play-it-Again Sports for around $10-$15 (I bought
three at a garage sale for $3 a piece).  You'll never go over on any pull
test, you won't feel bad about it getting whacked, scratched, bashed, trod
on, rained on, bled on, stickered, or any other indignities our combat bows
so often undergo.  If you spend $200 on a youth longbow for combat with a
satin mahogany finish, signed by Fred Bear himself, with a horn and a
whistle for making the enemy perk up their ears while you shoot them, you'll
regret it.

Sir Dieterich
Owner of a youth longbow with a muddy finish, a smudge that faintly
resembles handwriting of some kind, and a horn-and-whistle-combo that
doesn't sound and throws off the balance of the bow.