ANST - Re: Nine Worthies Titles

Gunnora Hallakarva gunnora at bga.com
Wed Mar 24 16:34:55 PST 1999

I have to point out here that there were Nine Female Worthies as well as the Nine Male Worthies.  If it's twisting people's knickers that
an A&S champion might get one of the male (and hence chivalric) titles, then simply use some of the female worthies.

Not that it really is that big a deal.  They can call their champions anything that they like, so long as the tournament is not called
"Nine Worthies Tournament".  Would anyone object if the tournament title was "Southern Regional Championship" and the various winners
bore the Nine Worthies' titles?

Once you introduce this much change into the concept, then you're talking about a different event.  I'd agree that it would be A Bad
Thing to thow an event titled "Nine Worthies" and then not use the concept and ideals of the original Nine Worthies Tourneys, just as it
would be sacrilegous for a group other than Bjornsborg to throw an event called "Tourney of the Lions" or "Tournee De Lyonnesse" and run
it as a bearpit or Swiss Five.  But here they're talking about a different title and a different concept... you don't hear Bjornsborg
complaining about someone being named "Defender of the Fort" just because we have "Defenders of Lyonnesse"!

Wæs Þu Hæl (Waes Thu Hael)

::GUNNORA::

Baroness Gunnora Hallakarva, OL

Ek eigi visa þik hversu oðlask Lofstirrlauf-Kruna heldr hversu na Hersis-Aðal
(Ek eigi thik hversu odhlask Lofstirrlauf-Kruna heldr hversu na Hersis-Adhal)