ANST - Wanted--hyperkinetic warriors

Karen C. Moon kmoon at texas.net
Tue Mar 23 20:42:41 PST 1999

Greetings from Mari, writing on the unwitting behalf of a good many
fighters she has observed over far too many years....

At 04:55 PM 3/24/99 PST, Lyonel wrote:

>Does standing in a shieldwall make you itch?
Yup.

In battle, when you attack
>your first opponent, are you already picking out your next two targets?

Heck, I probably fell on top of them.

>Do you have good foot speed,
Nope.

a fair amount of agility,

It is to laugh....

endurance to
>spare,

are we drinking or fighting?

and the guts it takes to leap alone into an enemy shieldwall?

Absolutely!

>Then have I got a job for you.  In preparation for Gulf Wars IX, I want
>to put together a light infantry unit.

Good sweet Sir Lyonel, my answers are only to remind you and other
commanders out there not to automatically stick the less-than-light-of-foot
into a shield-wall*, where many may be miserably unhappy, and only allow
the swift and willowy to pursue gloriously brain-fried tactics like lodging
oneself in a ballista to be flung over enemy lines .... (Sir Corwin comes
to mind... I don't know why.)

Until the boredom threshold is crossed, one never quite knows who is slow
and who is just conserving energy. ;-)

Fondly,

We'll train in flanking
>maneuvers, counter-flanking maneuvers, hit-and-run tactics, and
>harassment techniques that allow small, fast units to cripple whole
>armies.
>
>If you're interested, email me at sirlyonel at hotmail.com with your
>fighting stats.  I want to know your favorite weapons styles, your
>fighting history, and why you think this is the unit for you.  I'll be
>holding the first unit meeting at Crown.
>
>To answer one unspoken question, yes, I would like to include some
>archers in this unit.  They'll have to be able to load, aim, and fire on
>the run.
>
>A few major caveats:
>
>(1) I'm not much of a runner, but on the battlefield, I move a lot
>faster than most fighters.  I'll expect this unit to keep up with me.
>Endurance is more important than speed.
>
>(2) This is not an endeavor for anarchists.  If you can't follow orders,
>you'll just get in the way.
>
>(3) This is also not an endeavor for lone wolves.  The members of this
>unit will *always* have their asses on the line.  Teamwork and
>communication are an absolute necessity.
>
>lo vostre por vos servir
>Sir Lyonel Oliver Grace

Mari