ANST - 9 Worthies - Description (long)

marsha.greene at mpan.com marsha.greene at mpan.com
Thu Mar 25 16:55:33 PST 1999

The event known as the 'Tournament of the Nine Worthies' was held in 1990 -
1992  and I believe a few more years alternating after that.  The last
booklet that I found was for the fourth Worthies tourney.  It was hosted
between the baronies of Stargate/Loch Soillier/Raven's Fort and the shires
nearby.    Herein is info gleened from the booklet:

It was a high-personna event, fashioned around armoured competion (heavy
weapons) in five segments: 1.  single elimination, 2. barrier battles, 3.
tilting at quintains, 4.  footbridge, 5. grand melee.   Individuals and
teams were divided by two fields, Argent and Or.

The Worthies were choosen not only by their skill at arms, but by their
personna play, costuming, bearing, courtesy and grace of their consort...
you get the idea.  They were selected to match the worthy that they most
matched in character and actions.

While history provides us with many examples of tournament play and
scenarious (ie.  Mythic, Arthur and the Round Table, Charlemagne), the
'Tournament of the Nine Worthies' was adapted from a Tournament presented
by Jean de Longuyon in his Voeux du Paon as the Neuf Preux.
The Nine Worthies were represented as:
     Old Law:  Joshua	   David	          Judas Macabeus
     Pagan Law:     Hector of Troy	Alexander the Great	Julius Ceasar
     New Law:  Arthur	   Charlemagne	    Godrey de Bouillion
On occation a Tenth Worthy was selected:      William Marshal
There were also Nine Heroines (the consorts of the fighters selected)  and
Nine Artisans (by category competition).

The concept of the Nine Worthies is a historical one (not just in the SCA),
and therefore no one group owns the idea.  However, much research and work
was put into creating and developing this specific event, I for one think
it would be inappropriate to borrow the term 'Worthies' for another event
if you use the same personna titles; even as it would be to use the term
'Pride of Lions' outside of Bjornsborg.   I would be less 'iffy' about just
calling them 'Worthies of the Southern Region', but don't like the use of
the 'Nine Worthies of the Southern Region',  There is such a tradition of
association with the terms, in this Kingdom.    If the folks from the
Southern Region want a descriptive for their champions that is UNIQUE to
their region, they will run the risk of comparisons by the use of the term
'Worthy'; no matter how many folks think it sounds fine.

And from the positive e-mail responses here recently on the former tourney,
who knows, the 'Tournament of the Nine Worthies' may indeed be revived.
Bn. Hillary Greenslade   Westgate

warrior at texas.net on 03/24/99 09:27:58 PM

Please respond to ansteorra at Ansteorra.ORG