ANST - event activities on Sunday

Mirrim mirrim at moritu.net
Fri Mar 26 14:20:50 PST 1999

I think one reason people pack up to leave on Sunday morning is, it takes
longer to pack up in the first place.  A lot more people have period pavillions
and while they look great, they are more labor intensive to set-up, tear down,
and pack.  And when you have that space, there's all the stuff you put in it.
Add to that a list side pavillion to tear down and pack too.

When I started in the SCA 20 years ago, I had a small car, tent, sleeping bag,
clothes, and maybe an ice chest.  Now I have a big truck, trailer, yurt, bed,
tables, dog kennel, list side pavillion, chairs, carpets.  Instead of 30 minutes to
be packed up, it takes 3 hours.  Add a 3-5 hour drive and that's a day.

At Kein and Alisha's Coronation, there was King's Champion on Sunday.  As
part of their entourage we also had to tear down the Royal encampment and
pack.for Kein and Alisha (everyone needed to talk to them on Sunday).  We
didn't leave the site until 8 PM.  We were hot and exhausted.  Somebody has
to do all that at most big events.  It's alot of work.

I'm not saying there shouldn't be activities on Sunday but these are reasons
why the practice died out.

Mirrim

"Practice principled acts of self-interest and ruthless logic"