ANST - Cost of Worthies

Gunnora Hallakarva gunnora at bga.com
Mon Mar 29 07:53:35 PST 1999

Baron Bors said:
>  The one problem that Wothies did have was that it was a VERY
> expensive tournament to organize.  The cost of the beautiful
> medalions made at a cut rate price by Mistress Athena was
> enough to choke a cow, and with the other incidentals needed,
> the break even cost was $7 to $8 per person and that was
> without feast.

My question here is why would you go to a merchant and buy medallions. even at a
"discount" when you could ask for donations for the medallions?  There are lots of
talented artists in this kingdom, and while they might not be able to commit to
donating a bunch o' bucks for medallions year after year, many would be happy to do
so once.

We have folks in the kingdom who do glass enamelling, jewelry casting, cutowrk
jewelry, ivory/bone carving scrimshaw, and many other disciplines that could turn
out great regalia. Rotating the source of the medallions not only spreads the cost,
but also showcases the work of a lot of fine people.

As a Laurel, I've yet to have someone come up to me and say, "We need prizes for
this event, and we'll pay for them."  Nor have I said back to them, "Sure I'll
provide prizes, but it'll cost ya!"  The event organizers reasonably recognize that
if I can afford to contribute, then I will provide prizes.  And if I can provide
prizes for this fine organization that provides me with so much pleasure, then
that's just a little bit of "giving back" that I feel is necessary to keep the whole
thing going.

Wæs Þu Hæl (Waes Thu Hael)

::GUNNORA::

Baroness Gunnora Hallakarva, OL

Ek eigi visa þik hversu oðlask Lofstirrlauf-Kruna heldr hversu na Hersis-Aðal
(Ek eigi thik hversu odhlask Lofstirrlauf-Kruna heldr hversu na Hersis-Adhal)