ANST - Re:Needle hoax revisited

Robert Singleton slugmusk at alias.flash.net
Mon Mar 29 11:47:53 PST 1999

Michael Tucker wrote:

> Siiiiigggghhhhh....

(some stuff snipped)

> Good People,
> the next time you read something like this, ask yourself: If this is true, why
> aren't they making a big deal about it in the news? If this is true, where in
> the story is something I could check up on to verify the story? (For example,
> *real* computer virus alerts come with a reference to the government's Internet
> Advisory Council; *real* government legislation alerts come with a reference to
> the *specific* House subcomittee and bill being considered; etc.) If it sounds
> scary, but you haven't heard anything about it in the news, and there's no way
> you could pick up the phone (or go to the Internet) and verify the story, it is
> almost *certainly* a hoax.

Well spoken, as always....

Another very powerful indication that a story is possibly a hoax is the
addition of a request that the reader propogate the story, especially
verbiage to the effect of, "Please send this to as many people as
possible."

Robert of Slugglenn, attempted hoax basher

--

Robert Singleton

Robert of Slugglenn, House Mac An Ghabhann, Canton of Loch Ruadh
Kingdom of Ansteorra

slugmusk at alias.flash.net

Wicks have not seen the knot of cardboard except in memory of nails
and socks in oil upon the shelf of repressed toilet switching fish.