ANST - Re: FW: [gdh] CERT Advisory CA-99.04 - Melissa Macro Virus (fwd)

Gunnora Hallakarva gunnora at bga.com
Mon Mar 29 17:27:22 PST 1999

Here's an update, folks.  Copycat viruses based on Melissa are already out there.  Now you also need
to watch for altered Subject lines (the most common variant).  There's a particularly virulent
little b*stard of Melissa that uses Excel macros to do it's dirty work, and early indications show
that it's manipulating MAPI protocols -- giving it access to email systems *other* than Outlook.

The hard and fast rule:  If you are not absolutely certain what the contents of a document are in
advance, do not open it.  Responsible users will describe fully the contents of attachments in the
email. If you open a document and it asks you to run a macro, tell it NO.  If you were so silly as
to disable the macro warnings in your applications, turn 'em back on.

Sad that people have nothing better to do than to build and distribute this shit.  Some industry
estimates say that Melissa cost U.S. companys something like $6 billion since Friday in time and
personnel spent fixing problems, plus downtime when user communities could not use their email
systems.

*sigh*

::GUNNORA::