ANST - Louisiana Speeding Ticket

Tue Mar 9 06:35:43 PST 1999

IIRC, all states are now signatory to the Interstate Compact, which means
that unless your friend is going to do a total identity change, the
authorities can track him when a new driver's license is issued.  Under the
Compact, the states share driver information to stop individuals who
maintain multiple drivers licenses and try to hide violations.  Louisiana
will probably know where your friend is, they just won't do anything because
of the cost.

The ticket represents a summons.  Should your friend fail to appear, a bench
warrant will be issued.  It probably will not be served, because your friend
is out of state, but it will be placed on file.  Should your friend be
stopped in Louisiana again, he has a better than even chance of spending
some time in the lock-up.

Should your friend fail to pay the fine or appear in court, he  will have
committed the federal felony of interstate flight to avoid prosecution.
While I don't expect anyone push it, this can go off like a bomb, if your
friend goes into politics or applies for a security clearance.

My advice would be fight it or pay the fine and hope that the blemish on his
driving record gets lost in the paperwork shuffle of changing licenses.

Bear