ANST - Boffer Combat Thoughts

Amy Forsyth aforsyth at UH.EDU
Tue Mar 9 14:08:48 PST 1999

At 03:27 PM 3/9/99 -0600, you wrote:
>Sir Lyonel said:

Second, I want these kids  trained to switch to rattan at 18, so
>> I think their rules should gradually come more into conformance the
>> older they get.

Who says they should be 'training' for any particular form of fighting?

Shouldn't we have a second track that gradually leads to rapier if we're
going to have one that leads to chiv.?  [This would be possible to do since
shorter blades and smaller masks are made for children as young as age 5.
And afterall, a little kid is going to want to do what mommy or daddy is
doing.]

What about a third track of 'true boffer' (no rigid weapons at all)?

Will there be an adult 'true boffer' track as well?

-------
I think we need to back up and look at the intentions of the entire boffer
program:

Are we trying to implement a gradual training program?
	- If so, would it be for one combat form, several tracks,
	or a neutral form with cross-applications?
	- If not, then why is there a gradual escalation of armor
	requirements and rigid weapons in the rules?

Are we trying to develop a safe game for children that is similiar to what
the adults are playing?  or Are we trying to develop a safe game where not
as much armor needs to be worn and adults as well as children can play
(just split in
different age groups but with the same rules)?

Do we want the children to learn values or combat techniques?
	- What values do we want them to learn at what ages?
	(The rules of their lists should reflect these values.)
	- What specific combat techniques are appropriate for a
	neutral combat form program and at what ages should they
	be introduced?

Adela
(Stargate)