ANST - Past GW stories -- GW I

Baronman at aol.com Baronman at aol.com
Fri Mar 12 13:44:34 PST 1999

>What I can't get over, to this day, is how fighters that were half the age
>of Duke Sigmund were struggling to get out of the woods...... and yet he
>trotted out of the woods and all the way over to the Royal Encampment, with
>a detour by the Royal Pavilion.

   I think you are refering to Gareth- Duke Sigmund's squire at the time.  He
was wearing Duke Sigmunds armor for the woods battle.  Duke Sigmund was other
places doing official mucky muck stuff.  Gareth was camped next to my Baroness
and myself, and was reported as one of the first out of the disaster of the
woods battle.  He was instrumental in getting help and water bearers from all
over the encampments into the woods to render assistance.
    There were some serious problems from overheating that day.  Some of the
fighters physically could not walk out of the woods and were too exhausted to
yell for help.  I for one went into the woods with my spear, walked down a
ravine and up the gulley and then had to stop about 75 yards into the woods. I
could not stand to move any farther.   I helped get several others out and
pointed many others in the direction of the road wher water bearers and pickup
trucks were waiting to haul those unable to walk into the campsites.  To this
day, there are myths about people finding old rusted armor from where fighters
had dropped it in the woods and couldn't remember where they left it.  This
woods battle was possibly the most overheated I have ever been in my 15 years
in the Society.

One who was there and did it.

Baron Bors