ANST - GW Date Discussion Was (Sigh)

Galen W. Bevel galenbv at ix.netcom.com
Sat Mar 13 11:38:50 PST 1999

Jackie wrote:

> You know...it seems as if there is a real concern for those of us who are
> educators.  There are many of us in the education field who play and we only
> seem to get to attend once every couple of years for this reason.  What was
> the original reason for changing the event from June to March...other than
> heat.  Is the site booked through the summer for other events?  Just
> wondering.
>
> Ulrica

Hi there,

A very wet, and disappointed Galen Kirchenbauer here, just back from the
rained out War.  Since I was Kingdom Seneschal when the decision to move
the war was made, I will try to explain why it was moved.  Most of you
remember the heat from the first Gulf War, and the number of prostrate
bodies removed from the woods after the woods battle.  The second war
was not much better, even without the woods battle. People, even those
not fighting, were just having too much trouble with the heat in June.
So the seneschal of Trimaris and I , along with our respective crowns
and those of Trimaris, got together and decided that we would look for
a better time for the War.  We wanted a time when people would still be
able to get off to attend, but when the weather would be more amenable.
We looked at three day weekends in the fall, decided that it would still
be too hot in September and too closer to Pennsic as well, no good
weekends in October, and later than that approached the year end
Holidays too closely.  We finally decided that spring break would be the
best we could do, even though it did not fall on the same date for every
one.  We tried to find out which date would be the best for the greatest
number of people for the next war, chose that date, and tried it out.
Until this year, it has worked fairly well weather wise.  Although it
has occasionally been rainy or, more often, cold, overall the weather
for the spring Gulf Wars has been very good.

I am not sure how early they are setting dates for the War now, but my
suspiscion would be that by now the date for next year is already set,
or is being set at meetings today or tomorrow. If you can come up with a
time that the war can be held when everyone can attend, and when we
won't have to cart people off to the hospital for the heat, talk to Sir
Burke (the kingdom seneschal) and Baron Lucais (the current Gulf War
liason) and of course the crown.  It may be that even if we can't change
it for next year, we could for Gulf War X.

--
Galen W. or Rebecca Bevel
galenbv at ix.netcom.com