ANST - Gulf Wars when I left

Kathri at aol.com Kathri at aol.com
Sun Mar 14 10:54:01 PST 1999

Kathri of Stargate here, back from Gulf Wars.  I rolled out at 9:30 am
Saturday just as the next onslaught of rain hit.  We had a respite from Friday
evening until then which allowed some improvement of roads and parking
conditions, but they probably worsened rapidly after I left.  Those who stay
until Sunday will have endured another cold night as well.  (Prediction was
low-to-mid 30's.)  As a default, assume that everything / everyone who went to
war will need to be warmed, washed, dried, repaired, and loved back to
Ansteorran standards.

I saw an earlier posting about 'the thin line between valor and foolishness'.
This week a lot of people had to figure out where to draw that line.  Do I
stay and help those who need it worse than I?  Do I leave before I become one
of those who need help?  What does honor demand or allow?  What does prudence
demand or allow?  I'm busy figuring out how to do things better next time.
I'm not going to argue with myself or anyone else about what was done this
time.

May I add that TRM Gunther and Sara have been great leaders through all of
this.  At Ansteorran court on Friday, Gunther arose, he said, "to address 'we
few, we happy few' ''  and though it got a laugh it also encapsulated a lot of
feelings.  He told of his own intentions to give the Calontir fighters a
chance to attack the fort on Saturday, and I perceived a good combination of
welcoming those who wanted to stay and fight while freeing those who wanted or
needed to leave.  I fear - and hope - that the weather put a stop to the
fighting.  It was a quagmire, folks.

This year, we fought the war and the war won.  Wait 'til next year!

Kathri (who needs to put that load in the dryer and start the next one.)
Kathri at aol.com