ANST - What we are (not) missing at War

Robert Singleton slugmusk at alias.flash.net
Sun Mar 14 20:46:49 PST 1999

Having just returned from "Gulf Wars VIII", which, due to rain, appeared
to have been held IN the gulf, I have the following observations
concerning Joe Wolf's comments:

> Leaky tents
We did have a few of those, alright.  My borrowed 10x10 square dome
faired quite well, as did the Big Viking Tent of my housebrothers.  One
brand new one had to be moved to make a path and it leaked, probably
because of pole pressure and staking not being just right...

> Mosquittos
Too cold, I guess.  I saw one, but it may have been a mayfly... I did,
however, suffer what I believe to be a spider bite.  The chiurgeon
(Thanks, Kailin!!) fixed me right up and it stopped itching. I have
already called my doctor's office and asked for an appointment to check
it out on Monday, just to make sure.

> Rattan-inflicted bruises
No such luck for me... I was waiting for the big battles late in the
week and they were rained out...

> Your friend's (who can't cook) cooking
I am truly lucky here, as our household is chock full of wonderful cooks
and we'd arranged a nice schedule where we had a breakfast cook and two
dinner cooks each day and two others to clean up for each meal. Until
the rain mucked up the cooking schedule, it worked pretty good...

> Duct-tape smell
Duct tape has a smell? :):):)

> Humidity
Well, we did have about 1320% humidity during the heavy rains Friday and
Saturday, but until then, it was quite pleasant.  I even sunburned
Thursday tossing axes.

> Having to pack up Sunday
It was Saturday for us, but still....

> Tired, grumpy merchants
I think the merchants had to put up with tired, grumpy eventers!

> and of course, hangovers!
I somehow managed to avoid any of these while still drinking plenty!
Maybe it was the afforementioned humidity... :)

Robert of Slugglenn