ANST - combat archery logistics

harry billings psobaka at mail.myriad.net
Mon Mar 15 18:44:46 PST 1999

I have run out of arrows, and have shot 30 in a field battle that lasted
about 15 min. had me being carful about targeting.
IIRC the fort battles were supposed to be 1 hour long this year if I live
for the entire battle bet I could go through more that 50 and that is with
target slection, not just fill the air with arrows thay have to hit some
thing. Not to say I will hit some thing with all or even half of them but
that they will be aimed at a target.
I now carry 40 arrows in my quiver and have 40 more in a quiver that I can
go to for resupply plus a crossbow and about 40 bolts for it.
HE Octavia is an above average combat archer and a worithey addition to our
force I realy like having her on "my side", how ever she dose not shoot as
fast as some of us. She dose a very good job of making her arrow count with
kills. Some times though a miss is as good as a kill becouse it gives the
opposition some one else to look out for. Ask Sir Kief about a non kill shot
that saved his life at Kingdom War Practice. No I did not make it.

>I would agree here. I think a bigger problem is if the archer is
>shooting 5 arrows every minute for 20 minutes that is 100 arrows.
>I think I remember Octavia saying she carried 50 arrows in her
>quiver but I think that is far above the average. Even then she
>would run out half way through if she was shooting at this rate.

It is not practal to resupply in the field battles, for the most part you
should be able to carry all the arrows that you will shoot.

>Perhaps I've missed it, but I haven't seen any mention of any
>effort to resupply archers in the middle of a battle. I believe
>that this resupply during battle was key element in many medieval
>armies, at least the English.

Plachoya Sobaka a humble archer in Ravens Fort, Kingdom of Ansteorra; play
nice, have fun