ANST - Arrow vote

Robert Singleton slugmusk at alias.flash.net
Tue Mar 16 17:14:12 PST 1999

"Gail P. Taylor" wrote:

> I've just authorized as a combat archer.  By next Gulf War, I
> hope to have 100 arrows of my own, and be accurate enough to be a threat.

I was very excited about shooting Trimarans at war and was
understandably disappointed when the battles were called due to rain. We
stayed anyway and had a wonderful, if occasionally moist, time!

Lord Talon sent me (and a couple of my kinspeople) home with a dozen of
the loaner arrows each. Last night and tonight, I went out back at the
office and lobbed off a few rounds of them at the dumpster, the gate
opener and other nice big, loud, metal targets. There is something
magical about shooting a combat arrow at a big gong at about 30 yards. I
also shot at cardboard boxes, most just big enough for a helm to fit in,
at the same range and I found them to be rather easy to hit. I shoot
fairly well anyway, but there is something magical about shooting
offhand at things other than an official archery target.

A coworker (bravely or stupidly, you decide) stood downrange, sorta
behind the dumpster and tossed boxes out for me to shoot at in the air.
I hit none of them, but there were some very near misses.

I need to practice with a quiver work on my firing rate. By next Gulf
War (or by Three Kings for that matter), I will have a stack of my own
arrows and my own combat bow and I will be deadly with them!

--

Robert Singleton

Robert of Slugglenn, House Mac An Ghabhann, Canton of Loch Ruadh

slugmusk at alias.flash.net