ANST - thoughs on list admin ... was: Administrative change..

j'lynn yeates jyeates at realtime.net
Thu Mar 18 07:45:41 PST 1999

run away! ... he's about to opinionate again!

... could be much worse, could be a stand-up philosopher

On 18 Mar 99, at 8:45, Pug Bainter wrote:

>   Above all, avoid "Me too" messages with the entirety of the previous
>   message included.

might also mention that a "vivat+whole text previous message" is considered a
"me too" class of "noise" message ... or the dreaded whole previous message (or
more than one) with no additional comments .... if it dosn't open, redirect,
expand, or expound on a topic, why bother posting?  accidental mis-postings do
happen to all of us (except me, never done that ... grin), but when frequent
and recurrent patterns start showing up you start questioning the why's ...

>   Unfortunately it has not been a single individual, but several
>   people. The main culprits seem to be using AOL or Outlook as their
>   mail client.

don't know about AOL (zero interest) but run Outlook as well and never found it
a problem to cut out the non-relevent bits before reply ... would'nt lay the
core problems on the service (AOL) or client (Outlook) so much as basic user
misunderstanding of their tools and environment,  general lazyness, or simple
carelessness while rushing through things ... all easily corrected with little
or no pain involved .... though that brings up interesting ideas for better
list moderation, and after all we are a medievel re-creation group .... perhaps
some alternative blending of recreation and re-creation is in order ....a neo-
inquisition for high crimes against the net .... .hmmm, there's a core for a
good book in that i think)

>   ... I will be monitoring the filter closely to make sure no mishaps
>   occur.

there ya go, making more work for yourself again and making it easier on us
pleb's ..... (g).

better be careful, our you're going to end up with a very large, heavy, and
possibly quite ugly virtual award hanging around your neck for services
rendered to the cause .... remember the old adage "i bear the chains i forged
in this life"

'wolf

... - Boingo, Pedestrian Wolves