ANST - Tournament of the Worthies

Amy Forsyth aforsyth at UH.EDU
Wed Mar 24 13:22:48 PST 1999

At 01:28 PM 3/24/99 -0600, Lionardo wrote:
(I wrote)
>>If your wanting to simply use the titles.... I can't support it.
>
>I don't think the intent was to use the titles, as much as to incorporate
>some of the ideas and ideals expressed by the Tournament of the Nine
>Worthies. I was under the impression that the name would be something more
>relevant to a Southern Regional Championship event, but all of that is still
>under discussion.

The name of the event was never under debate.

What is under debate is using the 'titles' of the worthies to represent the
winners of championship tournaments.  In 9 Worthies, each 'worthy'
represented different ideals of Chivalry.  Much thought went into selecting
the winners of the worthies titles.  They were not random assignments.

I don't want to see the winner of the Chiv. tournament given the title of
"Arthur" simply because they win the Chiv. tourny.  At the same time, it's
not necessarily appropriate to give the winner of the A&S competition a
'worthy' title when, in period, that title was used to represent chivalric
ideals.

If the debate on the Southern List has evolved into the concept of "we want
something more than just a person who can fight to represent us" ---- then
I can applaud the effort.  But the championship will have to consist of
something more than just a tournament or competition in order to assess the
virtues and ideals.  Also, the virtues and ideals of a martialist are not
necessarily the virtues and ideals of an artist.  It will be a challenge
for the organizers to successfully put on an event with such high and
varied goals.  But you need to find more appropriate titles for the
winners, and not use the titles of the worthies.

Also, from the initial posting that appeared on the Ansteorra_list, we were
being asked if we wanted to revive "9 Worthies".  Reviving 9 Worthies was
never discussed on the Southern list until Kief's dual-postings.  There
were a number of people asking about 9 Worthies..... but the titles of the
worthies were to be spread across all competitions -- all discussion was in
the context of the SR championship.  I think the members of the list need
to know the background out of which Kief's question came.

Again, if someone would like to revive Nine Worthies, really and truly
revive Nine Worthies, then I'm for it.

Adela