ANST - 9 Worthies - Description (long)

Michael Tucker michaelt at mechatronics.com
Fri Mar 26 05:47:49 PST 1999

Greetings, all, from Michael Silverhands:

marsha.greene at mpan.com (Baroness Hillary) wrote:

> The event known as the 'Tournament of the Nine Worthies' was held in 1990 -
> 1992  and I believe a few more years alternating after that.

Yes, it was hosted two years by Stargate, two years by Loch Soilleir, and once
(the last time) by Ravensfort.

>  The last
> booklet that I found was for the fourth Worthies tourney.  It was hosted
> between the baronies of Stargate/Loch Soillier/Raven's Fort and the shires
> nearby.    Herein is info gleened from the booklet:
>
> [snip]

Thanks, Hillary. As publisher of the booklet, I've been in the process of
restoring it from my  archives so I could relate this information. You just
saved me the trouble. :-)

> The concept of the Nine Worthies is a historical one (not just in the SCA),
> and therefore no one group owns the idea.

With respect, I disagree with Baroness Hillary. While it's true that the concept
of nine "worthies" throughout the ages is a historical one, the concept of "The
Tournament of the Nine Worthies" is not. A *very* specific group of people
dreamed up this event (mostly Duke Sigmund, with help from Hector, Rowan,
Rhodri, Galen K., Godwin, and the rest of Sigmund's "back yard" plus a few
others). These people did all the research for the event, made the banners,
wrote the event handout (roughly the size of a Compleat Anachronist; as much a
lesson in history as a guide to the event), planned the tourneys, devised the
judging format, and did most of the work running the event for the first four
years. There is no doubt in my mind that these people "own" the event. To a
lesser extent, the Barony of Stargate has a claim of "ownership" (in my opinion)
as the original sponsor (and home Barony).

>  However, much research and work
> was put into creating and developing this specific event

Exactly.

> I for one think
> it would be inappropriate to borrow the term 'Worthies' for another event
> if you use the same personna titles; even as it would be to use the term
> 'Pride of Lions' outside of Bjornsborg.   [snip]   If the folks from the
> Southern Region want a descriptive for their champions that is UNIQUE to
> their region, they will run the risk of comparisons by the use of the term
> 'Worthy'; no matter how many folks think it sounds fine.

Exactly!

> And from the positive e-mail responses here recently on the former tourney,
> who knows, the 'Tournament of the Nine Worthies' may indeed be revived.
> Bn. Hillary Greenslade   Westgate

I, for one, would *love* to see this event live again, if it could be restored
with all its grandeur and dignity. My lady, Baroness Neassa, and I hold our
"Overall Worthy" medallions among our most prized possessions. Little would
please me more than to see the Tournament of the Nine Worthies restored on my
"watch" as Baron of Stargate.

Yours in service,
Michael