ANST - Emergency Prayer Request (Amanda hoax)

Robert Singleton slugmusk at alias.flash.net
Tue Mar 30 11:50:28 PST 1999

Ranzy D Rowe wrote:

> If this is a hoax than it is something that must be stopped But if it is
> not a hoax then we must all pray to what ever god we believe in.

A reasonable statement except for the word "must"...

> and do
> we dare take the chance that is a hoax and not prey it is not like it
> cost us anything to prey and it dose only good so i personally will pray
> for this little girl and if you think that it is a hoax than do what your
> conscience tell you to do...

I do dare take that chance... Call me jaded, but in the 10 years or so
that I have been internet active, I have seen many many such prayer
requests. Of the ones that I did not recognize as famous hoaxes and felt
an need to investigate, exactly zero have been traceable to a real
person. Perhaps I should have spent more effort but my conscience tells
me to spend my time furthering mankind and I feel that expending an
effort to help a non-existant person robs the needy of that effort. I
equate this with my irritation at my tax dollars going to feed people
who have bigger & nicer cars and houses than I do. The abandoned mothers
with babies could better use that food.

> BUT DO NOT TELL ME WHAT TO THINK OR DO THAT IS FOR ME AND MY CONSCIENCE TO
> DECIDE NOT AND I REPEATE NOT FOR YOU OR ANYONE ELSE SO PLEASE DON'T RESPOND
> TO MY REPLY TO THESE CHAIN LETTERS

Don't tell me what not to do and we'll call it a deal...

> YOU PEOPLE THAT ASSUME THAT YOU KNOW MORE THAN EVERYONE ELSE AS TO WHAT IS
> REAL AND WHAT IS A HOAX WELL, THAT JUST REALLY BURNS MY SHORTS !!!!!!!!

So, do a little research and suggest some REAL cases for us to be
concerned with. My thoughts go out to anyone in need and I realize the
benefits of focusing those thoughts on a specific individual, but in my
mind, praying for Amanda is equivalent to praying for Charlie Brown or
Snuffy Smith.

In service to the dream and to mankind,

Robert of Slugglenn

slugmusk at alias.flash.net