ANST - Period Scams?

Mark.S Harris rsve60 at email.sps.mot.com
Tue Mar 30 06:40:37 PST 1999

Herr Manfred von Wolf wrote:

> With all the talk recently of computer viruses and prayer hoaxes (all
> off-topic) I begin to wonder about such
> scams in the period we study.  Papal Indulgences aside,  (and I won't
>go into whether these are a scam or
> not! Too heated of a topic!) does anyone know of a medieval equivalent
>of a chainletter or get-rich-quick scam?

Interesting question, Manfred.

I don't know about chainletters but I would doubt it. I believe it
was Baron Bors who just mentioned in another message that there would
be less email chainletters and get-rich-quick scams if folks had to
pay for their email. In the Middle Ages, the cost of parchment and
early paper was fairly expensive.

On get-rich-quick scams in period, I imagine it would depend upon
your definition of what is included in these and what is not. Does
trumping up witchcraft charges on your nieghbor so you can seize
his property count? What about watering down milk or adulterating
metal in coins or grain in bread?

Lord Stefan li Rous
stefan at texas.net