ANST - Period Scams?

Jennene Stanley tstanley at ou.edu
Tue Mar 30 14:35:52 PST 1999

> These examples are EXACTLY what I was looking for... completely >unethical
practices meant to defraud another and result in gain for the >instigator.
Any other period scams come to mind?

> Herr Manfred von Wolf
> Barony of the Stargate

Well, there was the selling of Indulgences in the late Renaissance. This
practice getting out of hand was one of the many factors leading to the
Reformation, Protestantism and Conter- Reformation.

During the Dissolution of the Monasteries of Henry VIII's time, many
"frauds" where found. There were cases of statues of the Virgin which when
prayed to (accompanied by the monetary offering, of course) was supposed to
cry real tears. Upon examination, it has a reservoir that only had to be
filled once a week. Many practices such as paying for masses for the dead
and paying for church office were commonplace.

Seems to me to be a period version of the modern TV evangelist.

Now, what did I give up for lent???

HLy Anya Gordon Lamont
Jennene R. Stanley
"Mooharpist"   e-mail at tstanley at ou.edu