ANST - Period Scams

Crescentia _ crescentia3 at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 31 09:50:02 PST 1999

Magnus wrote:
>The report I had seen stated that the Pope IS reinstituing Indulgences.
>However it will have a twist, apparently. Instead of paying the church
>"negate" a sin, they are saying things like community service and
what-not
>would be the payment for the sin.

I think one of the problems here is that the Catholic mindset on
indulgences and penance isn't very well understood by non-Catholics.
Indulgences have been around since the very beginning, and have never
gone away--although post-Vatican-II, they haven't been stressed much.
There are two types of indulgences: partial and plenary.  And you don't
necessarily have to pay for them-- lots of the older Catholic prayers
have "300 days' indulgence" or "plenary indulgence under the usual
conditions" written after them.

Penance, on the other hand, is what you do after you go to Confession.
They'll tell you to do something-- it can be a prayer (ie, recite 3 Hail
Mary's) or it can be something like "go out of your way to be nice to
your brother tonight" (especially for the children). But none of this
(either penance or indulgences) makes any sense unless you understand
the Catholic concept of Purgatory.

Sometimes, indulgences were abused.  But other times, they went for
things like building St. Peter's Basilica so it looks as it does now. To
the medieval mind, it would've been a win-win situation-- they got an
indulgence out of it, and Rome got a great-looking basilica.  It's just
like donating $$ to mission work or something.
Sorry for the bandwidth, but these concepts haven't really changed since
they were established, and I thought some people might like the
clarification.
-Crescentia