ANST - SCA - 35 year ???

Bob Dewart gilli at seacove.net
Wed May 5 09:35:01 PDT 1999

Like I said earlier, if they hold them every 5 years, all you have to do is
go every other or whatever interval you wish.

Every event is important and one of a kind.  There may be another event with
a simular name next year.  But it will not have the exact same magic; it
will have it's own.  Personnaly, I'd rather have more opportunity to go.  I
like my job, but sometimes it gets in the way of my hobby.

If you get bored at an event you're either not looking for something to do,
your excitment level is way to high or you really didn't want to be there in
the first place.

Gilli
Wearing his new stylish flame proof suit from El Paso.  To darken the skies
with Ansteorran arrows at Gulf War, someone must first make them.

Wolf writes:

simple, if you missed it (a regularly scheduled) and you wanted to attend or
there was a conflict that took precedence, no great loss as there will be
another in short order ... especially when you know that the next iteration
of
that event will be pretty much like the last.

once one starts getting jaded about certain frequently recurring events, it
becomes easier and easier to divert limited (usually) resources elsewhere
into
more interesting / rewarding venues or events.

ergo, the importance of the event is "diluted".  if it only happens every 10
years and it's important, then you have incentive to make the necessary
things
happen to get there.

case in point, years back got bored with a long running kingdom event here
and
eventually lost interest in attending ... started spending that weekend at a
non-SCAdian event several states over mainly for the road time there and
back
through beautiful scenery on the harley.   in this case a previous event
degraded in importance over the years and was supplanted by a more
personally
meaningful one.

another case ... made 20th because it was important to me and it was a
decade
event.  made 25th becuase it was semi-local and nothing else was happening
that
weekend.  to me, the first was much more meaningful (even with the flooded
site) than the second (though it did had some amusing harley-related moments
hanging with Fury and Company ...)

personally, i like the ideas of these "special" events far outside of
kingdom
... might encourage self to do long-distance rides to SCAdian events again,
been a few slow years on that front.  wish there were more long-distance
riders
still around ...

'wolf