ANST - Restraint, level heads, and cool tempers

Michael Silverhands michaelt at mechatronics.com
Thu May 6 14:00:57 PDT 1999

Unto all to whom these presents shall come,

Greetings from Michael Silverhands, Baron of Stargate,
Companion to the Order of the Star of Merit of Ansteorra,
Twice recipient of the King's Gauntlet for service to the Crown,
Bearer of the Sable Thistle of Ansteorra for Instrumental Music,
Bearer of the Sable Crane of Ansteorra,
Member of the Sodality of the Sentinals of the Stargate,
Bearer of an Award of Arms for service to the Kingdom...

...and recent example of poor taste, ill manners, and unrestraint.

Although I may have felt at the time that my words on this list were
well-considered, and even deserved; as a supposed representative of all the
ideals we hold dear in this Society I should have shown more self-control. I
have behaved in a most undignified manner unbefitting my station as landed
nobility and representative of the Crown, let alone these prestigious orders for
which I should stand as an example. I have been ignoble and base.

I hereby offer my humble, sincere and public apology to those of you who may
have taken offense at my earlier words.

Some of you agreed with my words (or at least the spirit of them), and wrote to
me or spoke to me in person to tell me so. Nevertheless, by using this venue to
vilify someone, I left the bounds of decent society and entered the very realm
of diatribe I was condemning. I was wrong to do so.

I hope that you will forgive me my outburst. I have spent many years cultivating
a kind and considerate nature, to be a level-headed model of restraint, to be
worthy of the awards and titles I hold. The behavior I showed yesterday is not
consistent with that nature, and I will henceforth apply myself to again earn
your good will. I ask you to remember that I am human and therefore fallible, as
I will try to remember the qualities of grace and nobility to which I aspire,
and which I so recently abandoned.

In service to the populace of Stargate, the Crown of Ansteorra, and our Society,
Michael Silverhands