ANST - A&S - does utility count?

Fopdejour1 at aol.com Fopdejour1 at aol.com
Sat May 8 23:47:08 PDT 1999

I missed the first post by Don Christian, but I wanted to respond to this
one, as it touches on a subject I care about.

In a message dated 5/9/99 1:26:40 AM !!!First Boot!!!, Baronman at aol.com
writes:

<< Take the cart out of the conversation and you have just described my
 experience with A&S entries in the SCA.  Wood work - just learning how but
if
 you make a box with out dovetail joints- kiss any points goodby even if evey
 square inch is covered with celtic knot work carved into it. No proper
 joints- no points. <<

I am afraid Your Excellency that I must disagree, I am by no means an expert
judge, but I have done my faire share of judging competitons with and without
Laurel guidence. Yes, you will lose a bit if the workmanship of the box (or
in my case, doublet) is not superior.  But, that falls under the catagory of
Workmanship/ Technical skill or Authenticity of Techniques with a max of 5
points to be deducted for each.  The majority of the point deductions will be
lost due to inadequate documentaion.

	>>Pewter casting - made a belt buckle and matching brooch for my
kilt-
 designs carved into the  cast was an early pict design- design and brooch
not
 compatible as far as same time period- kiss it goodby.<<

Again, this goes back to the documentation mentioned earlier...all you have
to do is justify why you did what you did, and most judges will be satisfied.
 eg. "I put this pictish design on my belt buckle, even though it is not in
the same time period as the buckle design, because I prefered it to other
designs I have seen."  It simply shows that you are aware of your art as it
is applied to it's medieval or pre-medieval counterpart.  If a judge still
knocks you for it, then there's nothing more you can do except move on and
accept judging is subjective at best.

	>>This is one of the main reasons why I don't DO A&S compititions any
more
 (except in my own Barony).  I make things that appear to be period and
 functional for my own enjoyment, with no desire to be flayed alive and
cooked
 over the coals at an A&S compitition.  <<

Je regret!!!  I participated in judging your wooden box at Bordermarch's
Autumn Melees and I thought it was lovely.  I am sorry that some bad
expriences have given you a bad taste for A&S, but I encourage you to
continue entering A&S competitions.  It is from the criticsim that one
improves one's art.

	>>OH!!!- I forgot the stained glass ( I have done a 6 foot by 6 foot
 stained glass window for my house and a couple for my neighbors, but if I do
 a reproduction of the windows from Edinburg castle chapel, it's suddenly not
 period techinque- No points for that.  <<

Again, documentation....documentation....documentation

     >>Same story with leather work.  I have a Thistle in casting and in
 leatherwork- my ability and technique haven't changed over the years, but
the
 judging has. <<

Of course it has, it would have to to remain competitive A&S wise with the
other kingdoms of the known world.

>> Does this mean that if I were judged today on the projects from
 several years ago (the ones that got me my Thistles) that I never would meet
 the requirements for those awards today? <<

	Numero Uno, there are no set requirements (to my knowledge) for a
thistle, it is given at the crown's discretion.  Secondly, You are proabaly
right, the quality of the pieces you produced when you received your thistle
might not compare to the quality of the pieces turned out by an artisan who
just recieved his/her thistle in woodwork last weekend.
	The simple reason being that more is expected out of artisans now
than 5, 10, 15, 20 years ago because there are so many more artisans.  It's
the whole concept of competition,  the more you have entering; the better the
quality has to be.  If not then stagnation sets in.

>>If you were on the list a couple of years ago, you would have heard this
 same story debated to death.  At that time I was called a grumpy old
 discontent ( which I am when it comes to SCA A&S compititions).  Been there-
 done that.

  Baron Bors of Lothian >>

I am so sorry to hear from perfectly wonderful artisans that they are
disillusioned with workings of A&S competitions, as it can be a wonderfully
rewarding part of the SCA.  Your Excellency and others, I beseech
you...please continue entering outside of your own group.  That is where the
educating and betterment of ones art takes place, from the constructive
criticsm of others.
	I hope this has helped answer some questions or concerns that others
may have had or had been raised by the previous post.

Ld. Charles de Bourbon
apprentice to Mistress Charla

PS  Judges are not monsters out to get people, they are learning too.