ANST - A&S - does utility count?

Mike Young uther at lcc.net
Sun May 9 07:38:39 PDT 1999

>My question, to the A&S folks, is do you feel the approach taken in
>the examples above is valid? Should A&S entries be judges only on
>their esthetic qualities and periodness, or should other factors be
>taken into account, such as how cleverly a piece hides mundanity in a
>period looking package, how well things like carts, lanterns and
>chairs function, and whether a piece makes life in the SCA easier or
>even safer?

Greatings!
I generally do not respond to the list but this topic has been on my mine
as of late.  I can't answer your question as I have never been asked to
judge an A&S but I would like to comment.
I entered the competion at Bordermarch Baronial several weekends ago with
dish I had been researching and I entered not to win, but to have the
benefit of other artisians opinions and suggestions to better my work.  The
judges came through beautifully, I might add, with very helpful comments on
my score sheet as well two of the three judges speaking to me personally to
make sure I understood
what they were getting at.  I also enter to share what I know with others.
I personally love to look at the A&S competion entries to learn just a
little of something I might not ever have had time to be exposed to on my
own.  With so many excellent entries, I don't know how the judges ever
decided on a winner.
I know we have had a discussion simular to this here before, and
I still believe anyone who agrees to judge an A&S competion for any event
must accept responsibility for trying thier best to make sure ever person
with an entry learns something from thier participation and goes away with
some sort of postitive response to thier work.
Perhaps to give everyone a fair forum to present thier work, we should
think more about separate catagories for A&S competions instead of just
lumping everything together into one.  I know thier would still need to be
an overall winner for an artisian title but it might give more people a
chance to be recognized for thier specific talents.
I would like to hear from some judges on this topic if thier out there.

in service,
HL Gwyneth Blackrose
seneschal - Greywood