ANST - A&S - does utility count?

Fopdejour1 at aol.com Fopdejour1 at aol.com
Mon May 10 10:09:20 PDT 1999

In a message dated 5/10/99 4:11:47 PM !!!First Boot!!!, jtc at io.com writes:

<< I guess the question is, has the world of A&S that has become too
 remote from the SCA that it serves? Has the A&S function moved
 outside the SCA and become something separate that just happens to be
 done at the same time and place as some of our events?  <<

IMHO, No... A&S like any other branch of activity in the SCA, is a study in
evolution.  It served a purpose 15 years ago and that purpose has evolved
today...anthentic recreation, which is what the SCA is all about.  I don't
think it is a case of moving away or outside, but rather a case of moving
towards to the intent of the SCA.

 >>If the creativity or cleverness of a piece of craftsmanship cannot be
 judged, or if it utility to life in the SCA counts for nothing, then
 sadly, that is the case.

 Doré >>

Of course it counts for something, but cleverness and utility alone will not
a competition win.  Include it in your documentaion, I don't think anyone
will short you points for it being a mundanity cover, you probably will get
kudos for it.  Realisticly, I don't think judges would ignore the cleverness
or inventiveness of the entry.  Ansteorra has some very competant A&S judges.
 It all comes bck to documentation.  But, I think Gunorra has already covered
most of this.

Charles