ANST - RE: A&S displays

Jennifer Carlson JCarlson at firstchurchtulsa.org
Mon May 10 14:37:48 PDT 1999

Speaking as a judge, jazzing up your display does not impress me.  I have
seen many artisans who dressed up their table like Macy's toy window at
Christmas, hoping to impress the judges.  Glitz is distracting, and can
even be annoying, as I have seen displays in which it was difficult to sort
out the entries from the props.

An appropriate display will have:

1.  The table covered with a cloth.
2.  A large card with your name (unless it is a "blind" competition).
3.  Entered items neatly arranged on the table.  If the item is meant to be
hung (stained glass piece, etc.) then have an appropriate frame/apparatus
for it.
4.  Documentation next to the item.  The documentation should be easy to
read, and tidy. Treat it like a resume:  try to avoid brightly colored
paper, as some of us have trouble reading black print on certain colors;
try not to use a calligraphy font, as it can be tiring to read a whole
document in calligraphy; use illustrations that are necessary, such as
illustrations of technique, or of period items, but avoid extra ornament.

Whether your documentation is paper-clipped, stapled, or in a folder makes
no difference, but if you put it in a folder, please put a label on the
folder.  A table displaying a body-of-work entry with eight dark blue
folders containing documentation but no labels on the folders is
frustrating, because things have a tendency to move around.

If you really do want to do some window-dressing, make sure that it does
not obscure anything you are displaying, and that it is clearly
window-dressing.  I once got confused because someone draped a piece of
jewelry over a wooden statue, and did not indicate whether it was the
jewelry or the woodcarving that was being entered.  There was no
documentation.  It made my job very difficult, as I had to go find the
artisan.

There is a cherished principle in marketing that you can sell anything if
you put it in an attractive package, but it doesn't work in the A&S sphere.
 Use that energy instead tidying up the documentation, or putting a
finishing touch on the item.

As a side note:  there is no excuse for a judge to give a hurtful comment
on an entry.  If a judge ripped your entry apart, you had a bad judge.
 There's always a way to be supportive, no matter how flawed an item might
be.

In servicio,

Talana
Jcarlson at firstchurchtulsa.org
"My, what an original perfume!"  Lord Percy, upon having unknowingly bussed
the very unwashed Baldric - Black Adder II