ANST - A&S Master piece

Thu May 13 14:45:00 PDT 1999

> HLOriana at aol.com wrote:
> > TerryD at Health.State.OK.US writes:
> >
> > << The closest thing to an A&S competition would probably be the
> presentation
> >  of work to the guild masters for elevation in the guild.   >>
> >
> >         Wouldn't it be great to be able to do that with the Laurel's
> circle?
> > Not as part of an A&S competition, but one artisan and his or her
> 'master
> > piece.'
>
> Something like this might be of use to introduce a possible Laurel
> candidate
> to the Laurels. However, it does appear the large A&S
> competitions/displays
> also do this.
>
> I'm not sure if this is what you had in mind, but the way it is worded
> this
> changes the guidelines to concentrate almost completely on a skill in a
> particular art. Within the SCA, the Laurel is also supposed to be a Peer.
> One whose abilities go well beyond those of even a Master Craftsman. Just
> as a Knight is supposed to do more than just fight well, A Laurel should
> also a broad knowledge of the SCA, be working to pass on the knowledge
> of their art and be a model of the ideals of the SCA. I'm sure others,
> such as Gunnora, could give more precise requirements.
>
> Lord Stefan li Rous
> Barony of Bryn Gwlad
> stefan at texas.net

The specific requirements for a Laurel in Corpora are:

(a) The candidate must have attained the standard of excellence in skill
and/or knowledge equal to that of his or her prospective peers in some area
of the Arts or Sciences.

(b) The candidate must have applied this skill and/or knowledge for the
instruction of members and service to the kingdom to an extent above and
beyond that normally expected of members of the Society.

There are no requirements in Kingdom Law.

While I am certain the Laurels seek to recommend nonpareils who will
diligently perform the duties of the rank and exam further qualifications to
ensure they find those individuals, holding a masterwork examination might
be a good way to meet (a) of the requirements, if one could find peers
knowledgeable in a specific field.

Bear